Everyday life revolves around the use of time.
Design a stylish clock in acrylic and wood to go in a particular room in your home. The shape of the clock will be based upon a theme of your own choice and the department will provide the clock mechanism. The clock may either be free standing or fixed to the wall.
1. You may use a number of pieces of coloured acrylic.
2. You may use a combination of hardwoods and softwoods.
3. The clock body will have to be accurately drilled to hold the clock mechanism.
4. The acrylic must be edge treated to create a polished finish.
5. The shape of the body must be based upon a theme of your choice.
6. The product must have a good standard of finish.
1. A number of initial ideas based upon a theme.
2. A working drawing of the clock body including the mechanism. This will include a front view, side view and plan.
3. A cutting list of all materials needed with sizes.
4. Paper templates of all parts.
5. A diary of all practical works with industrial processes.
6. A time plan of practical work.
1. Design and make a holder for the mechanism at the back of the clock body.
2. Using a spreadsheet show the costing of the project including materials, the mechanism, glues, fixtures and fitments.
Where might I get help / Source material?
The school library to decide upon a theme.
Examine clocks in your home.
Examine clocks in magazines.
If the clock is to be made for someone other than you ask them what theme or shape they would prefer.